Veeam Backup & Replication is one of the many backup software technologies supported by PEBYTE Systems appliances.
Unique integration with Veeam Backup & Replication allows our customers to:
- run native Veeam Data Mover directly on PEBYTE Systems appliance
- use Veeam Fast Clone technology for all synthetic backup creation, copy and transformation jobs
- utilize native Veeam SOBR integration
- establish fastest restores with integrated disk cache that keeps the most recent backups in an undeduplicated form
- gain from the most effective global thin replication to secondary site
The combination of the above features allows for the best possible user experience with PEBYTE Systems appliance for Veeam Backup & Replication including:
- industry unique combination of simultaneous in-line deduplication as well as balanced deduplication utilizing undeduplicated disk cache for maximum ingest and restore throughput
- scale-out architecture that allows scaling up to multi petabyte repository size (featuring global deduplication, linear scalability based on the amount of nodes, dispersed data volumes with erasure coding allowing node redundancy within a data cluster)
- up to 50:1 real-life deduplication ratio use cases that maximize secondary storage efficiency
- industry unique all-flash backup repository configurations for the most demanding performance scenarios
Native Veeam Data Mover support
To communicate with a PEBYTE Systems appliance Veeam Backup & Replication uses two Data Mover Services that are responsible for data processing and transfer:
- Veeam Data Mover on the backup proxy
- Veeam Data Mover deployed on the PEBYTE Systems appliance
All PEBYTE Systems appliances are factory configured to run native Veeam Data Mover service. When any Veeam task addresses the appliance, Veeam Backup & Replication starts the required instance of the Veeam Data Mover.
The Data Mover Service establishes a connection with the source-side Data Mover Service on the backup proxy, enabling efficient data transfer over LAN or WAN. This approach has two major advantages over typical CIFS share approach:
- major performance gains with using most effective TCP/IP communications native to Veeam Backup & Replication
- significant security advantage as native Veeam Data Mover service is much less likely to be a target of ransomware attack compared to typical CIFS share
Veeam Fast Clone support
Fast Clone is the Veeam Backup & Replication technology that helps create quick file copies. Fast Clone increases the speed of synthetic backup creation and transformation, reduces disk space requirements and decreases the load on storage devices.
With this technology Veeam Backup & Replication references existing data blocks on PEBYTE Systems appliance volumes instead of copying data blocks between files. Data blocks are copied only when files are modified.
Veeam Backup & Replication uses Fast Clone for the following operations:
- In backup jobs: merge of backup files, creation of synthetic full backups, transformation of reverse incremental backups and compact of full backup files.
- In backup copy jobs: merge of backup files, creation of GFS backups (synthetic method) and compact of full backup files.
Veeam SOBR (Scale-Out Backup Repository) support
Veeam’s Scale-out Backup Repository is a software object that groups multiple PEBYTE Systems appliances repositories into one abstract repository. Native integration with SOBR allows to fully utilize PEBYTE Systems scale-out architecture including almost infinite capacity and performance gains. The below diagram depicts multiple Veeam backup jobs addressing several appliances with integration that automates job assignment to optimize deduplication gains and performance:
Top Veeam features enabled by PEBYTE Systems appliance
With PEBYTE Systems appliance and Veeam you can:
- Maintain planned RPO objective for your environment
- Create a synthetic full as often as needed; with native Data Mover support on PEBYTE Systems appliance combined with Fast Clone support the synthetic operations can be a factor (x10) times faster now
- Boot a VM from the secondary storage system when the primary environment is offline or for testing purposes
- Utilize Veeam Sure Backup technology to maintain auditable capability to restore each backup job
- Take advantage of Veeam Virtual Lab technology
- Meet your backup window and ensure replication of critical data off-site